JOB TYPE: Permanent full-time, immediate start
PARTNERS IN CRIME: Creatives
It’s not often that the person leaving a role gets to write their own job ad. But welcome to this specific rip in the space-time continuum.
Chello is a brand and content agency. I happen to be their copywriter and I’m leaving after almost five (!) years to go travelling ‘round Oz. We need to find my replacement. But I can say with hand on my heart that this is a great place to work.
It’s hard to say what a typical week would look like because projects fluctuate. But if you were in my shoes in the last week you would have:
- Worked with our design team to refine some brand strategy
- Come up with ideas for a build-to-rent digital campaign
- Written some banner ads for a globally successful ecommerce platform
- Written an eDM inviting people to play human bingo
- Scoured Giphy for appropriate gifs for our monthly company ‘all hands’
- Sub-edited website copy for a high-end landscaping company
- Worked on a script about premium fuel
- Documented your revisions and response to client feedback on a website overhaul
- Written or edited captions and blog posts for our own channels.
The reality of the role is that you:
- Need an attention span that has been so broken by the internet/your phone/Netflix that you can move across 4+ different projects a day.
- Should be happy working on tiny bits of copy as well as big concept brand pieces.
- Must absolutely understand how the visual and verbal support each other. You can spot when your words can take a backseat, or how they can solve a problem.
- Have to see things through the client’s eyes and be curious about different industries. Like, from real estate to NGOs to logistics to start-ups.
- Are a reasonable proofreader and copyeditor.
- Have to be okay with a culture of feedback and, if anything, be motivated by what you get wrong more than what you get right.
- Will enjoy having your brain squeezed for ideas, whether it’s campaigns or branding or the right way to spin a social post.
- Are a chamelon. You can design and adopt different voices and tones.
- Will probably love pop culture, media and/or politics and what they say about what people value.
- …and bonus points if you’ve done any kind of scripting or writing meant to be read aloud. Or if you’ve concepted videos or animations.
You’ll work with a funny, talented bunch of people across animation, video, design and a bit of digital. Our studio is a light-filled, plant-stuffed spot in Redfern but you can work from home in your leggings/trackpants/pyjamas on Monday and Tuesday. You’ll probably have intense discussions about food roughly once a week, complain about the heater being too loud and not having enough dogs in the office, and you’ll learn to not make dinner plans on Friday because that’s when cheeseboard is on.
We don’t need an exact copy of me. (Personally, that would be terrifying.) But a versatile writer who likes the challenge of tackling a lot of things is a good first step.
Keen to replace me? Great! You can start by finding the typo in this job ad.
Put the correct spelling of the word in the subject header of your email along with your CV, cover letter, and any samples of your writing. Tip: go for diversity of mediums and styles rather than blockbuster pieces.
Please apply only if you have full working rights.
Apply via email at email@example.com